John S. Duncan, Chair
|Tom Henry, Secretary
|Fernando Lopes da Silva
Bilthoven, The Netherlands
The DMC has five Subcommissions: Neuroimaging (Chair: Tom Henry), Definitions of Epilepsy (Chair: Robert Fisher), Video Description of Seizures (Chair: Ian Mothersill), Neurophysiology (Chair: Fernando Lopes da Silva), Neuropsychology (Chair: Marilyn Jones-Gotman).
Each Subcommission agreed on objectives to pursue over the four-year term, in the form of producing guidelines and consensus statements that relate to their areas of expertise, and the organization of teaching skills workshops, in order to disseminate best practice.
Commission Activities from June 30, 2004 until August 31, 2005
- Very successful Diagnostic Methods course at IEC in Paris, August 2005.
- Neuroimaging: Document on Recommendations on Neuroimaging of Children with Epilepsy has been drafted and will be forwarded to the ILAE Executive Committee.
- Definition of Epilepsy: Document on definitions of epilepsy and of seizures published in Epilepsia.
- Neuropsychology: A document is being prepared on recommendations on minimum standards for neuropsychological assessment prior to epilepsy surgery.
- Video classification of seizures: The dissemination of the CD-ROM Signs of Epileptic Seizures has been completed. The material of this and the follow-on non-epileptic attacks has been agreed to be placed on the ILAE Website for purchase.
- Neurophysiology: Document on recommendations regarding the requirements and applications for long-term recordings in epilepsy has been drafted and will be forwarded to the ILAE Executive Committee.
- Diagnostic Methods courses at IEC meetings in Buenos Aires (2001), Lisbon (2003) and Paris (2005).
- Definition of Epilepsy: Publication of paper on Definitions of Epilepsy and Epileptic Seizures in Epilepsia.
- Video classification of seizures: The dissemination of the CD ROM Signs of Epileptic Seizures has been completed. The material of this and the follow-on non-epileptic attacks has been agreed to be placed on the ILAE Website for purchase.
Recommendations for Future Work
A similar Commission is continued within the ILAE, for the purposes of:
- Evaluating the current state of epilepsy diagnosis and diagnostic methods in advanced and developing health systems.
- Preparing and presenting regional symposia in developing and developed nations, on the nature of epilepsy and epilepsy diagnosis.
- Continuing the current activities of the DMC in disseminating knowledge and improving practice of epilepsy diagnosis.
John S. Duncan