New York, USA
- Review and extend methods for examining epilepsy care in different countries and regions.
- Review existing approaches.
- Examine the feasibility of adopting the WHO Health System Performance approach in assessing epilepsy care.
Commission Activities from June 30, 2004 until August 31, 2005
- Developed a framework for assessing epilepsy-related healthcare systems by mapping the WHO Health Systems Performance Assessment framework onto epilepsy.
- Epilepsy-related DALYs have been derived for five developed and one developing country using the WHO template. Each member of the Commission assisted in identifying the best data for the template for each country.
- The responsiveness scale has been piloted and its validity examined in a representative population of people with epilepsy in the UK.
- A basic measure of the financial fairness of healthcare systems has been derived for five developed and one developing country. Each member of the Commission assisted in identifying the best data for the template for each country.
- Findings were presented at the 26th International Epilepsy Congress.
Determined the feasibility of using available data, or data that is relatively easy to obtain, to estimate epilepsy-related DALYs, financial fairness, and responsiveness.
Recommendations for Future Work
Additional work is needed to finalize the template and determine how it can be applied in developed and developing countries.