Call for Editor – ILAE Wikipedia Epilepsy Project
4 February, 2020
The ILAE invites applicants and nominations for the position of Editor-in-Chief of its Wikipedia Epilepsy Project.
The ILAE's mission is to ensure that health professionals, patients and their care providers, governments, and the public world-wide have the educational and research resources that are essential in understanding, diagnosing and treating persons with epilepsy.
Wikipedia is the most commonly accessed source of health information by professionals and the lay public worldwide. This presents the ILAE with a unique opportunity to convey through Wikipedia the most authoritative and up to date information in epilepsy, with the widest possible penetration and range, and in many languages. It will also build an awareness of the ILAE.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
- A strong commitment to promote epilepsy education on a global scale
- An established record of scholarship and leadership in the epilepsy field
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and managerial skills Ability to meet the time demands of the Editor position
- Ability to work on electronic media
- Experience as an editor, associate editor or productive editorial board member is an asset.
- Experience editing Wikipedia entries an asset.
This is an honorary, non-compensated position, but a stipend for administrative support will be available. The scope of work of the Wikipedia Epilepsy initiative will involve two equally important activities:
- Edit existing epilepsy-related entries - this is a central aspect of the initiative. The goal is to make entries accurate and authoritative, applying extensive references/links to appropriate publications, especially those that involve ILAE-related materials on www.ilae.org or from ILAE’s three journals, and including open access articles, and applying language that is, as much as possible, understandable by non-professionals, in keeping with Wikipedia policy
- Create/solicit new epilepsy-related entries for topics that are important but currently not covered by Wikipedia.
- Reporting to the ILAE Executive Committee
- Forming an editorial board - Associate Editors will be selected by the Editor-in–Chief to represent topic areas of importance and taking into consideration the representation of the wide constituency of the ILAE
- Participating in Wikipedia editing training tutorials and coordinating same for Associate Editors
- Working collaboratively and maintaining regular communication with the Editors of Epilepsia Open®, Epileptic Disorders and Epilepsia® to determine which articles or portions of articles may be suitable as a basis for Wikipedia entries.
- Developing agreed upon deliverables in conjunction with the Publications Council and ILAE leadership
Interested individuals should submit the following via e-mail to Priscilla Shisler.
- Letter of application that describes your qualifications for this position and your vision for Wikipedia Epilepsy including how you would assemble a team and implement your vision in accordance with the two main activities described above.
- Curriculum vitae
The deadline for applications is March 6, 2020. Interviews for final candidates will begin in late March.
If you would like to nominate someone for consideration, please provide that person’s name, contact information and a brief statement of your reasons for the nomination no later than February 20, 2020.
The ILAE Executive Committee is responsible for the selection of the successful applicant(s). Candidates will be notified of the Executive Committee’s decision in early May 2020.
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community