ILAE Goals, Mission, and Strategy
The International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) is the world's preeminent association of health professionals and scientists working toward a world where no person's life is limited by epilepsy.
Vision, Mission, and Guiding Principles
ILAE's mission is to ensure that health professionals, patients and their care providers, governments, and the public world-wide have the educational and research resources that are essential in understanding, diagnosing, and treating persons with epilepsy.
The goals of the ILAE are:
- To serve health professionals as the premier international resource for current and emerging standards and best practice
- To support health professionals worldwide to enhance their knowledge and skills in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and care of epilepsy
- To advocate for epilepsy as a public health imperative
- To promote research and innovation for epilepsy
- To ensure the long term financial and organizational viability of the ILAE
- ILAE Strategy 2030: Strategic plan approved in January 2021 by the Executive Committee to provide strategic direction for the ILAE over the coming decade.
How the ILAE Works
- ILAE has national chapters in more than 150 countries and territories with over 26,000 health care members. Each national chapter has elected officers and members who are doctors and other health care professionals interested in epilepsy.
- ILAE has an Executive Committee: President, Vice President, Secretary-General, Treasurer, and the Immediate Past President, and the Chairs of each of the recognized ILAE regions as voting members for four-year terms. The Chairs of each of the five Councils are also represented on the Executive Committee.
- ILAE is funded from membership fees, Epilepsia subscriptions, congresses, and from sponsorships and charitable donations. Details about Sponsorship & Funding.
- ILAE has offices in Dublin, Ireland and Texas, USA.
- ILAE publishes three journals:
- ILAE publishes a membership newsletter, Epigraph.
- ILAE holds scientific congresses on a regular basis:
- International congresses every two years in conjunction with the International Bureau For Epilespy (IBE)
- Regional congresses in each of its regions every two years
- National congresses annually by each national chapter
- ILAE has formal links with the World Health Organization (for the Global Campaign Against Epilepsy) and with the International Bureau for Epilepsy (the world's leading lay persons epilepsy association).
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community