Draft Intersectoral Global Action Plan on Epilepsy and Other Neurological Disorders
On 12 November 2020 during the 73rd World Health Assembly, Member States unanimously approved a Resolution to develop a 10-year Intersectoral Global Action Plan on Epilepsy and Other Neurological Disorders (IGAP) (La ruta hacia un plan de acción global de la Organización Mundial de la Salud para la epilepsia).
This historic accomplishment was the culmination of outstanding collaboration among leading organizations including the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE), International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE), World Federation of Neurology (WFN), and European Federation of Neurological Associations (EFNA) and technical support from the WHO Secretariat. Approval announcement
This first draft of the Intersectoral global action plan on epilepsy and other neurological disorders has been developed based on the input received on the discussion paper and outlines the scope, vision, goal, and strategic objectives as well as specific actions for Member States, the WHO Secretariat and international and national partners.
Member States, United Nations (UN) agencies and relevant non-State actors are requested to share their comments on the first draft using the online web consultation form or by email to email@example.com by 5 August 2021.
Hightlights of the virtual roundtable discussion hosted by ILAE and IBE on 16 July 2021. There were more than 160 participants from 50 countries including representatives from Ministries of Health, Education and Employment to Inspire a Decade of Action guided by the Intersectoral Global Action Plan on Epilepsy and Other Neurological Disorders.
From the WHO website:
The World Health Organization (WHO) Secretariat is following a clear process to develop a global action plan on epilepsy and other neurological disorders. The next steps in the process to develop the Intersectoral global action plan on epilepsy and other neurological disorders will be:
- Member States, United Nations (UN) Agencies and relevant non-State actors are invited to share their comments in response to the first draft of the Intersectoral global action plan on epilepsy and other neurological disorders through virtual and web-based consultations from 18 June 2021.
- The WHO Secretariat will publish online the consolidated comments received on the first draft through the web-based and virtual consultations by mid-August 2021.
- The outcomes of the consultation will serve as input for the WHO Secretariat to prepare a revised draft of the Intersectoral global action plan on epilepsy and other neurological disorders that will be submitted for review at the 150th session of the Executive Board.
- Considering any guidance provided by the 150th session of the WHO Executive Board, the Seventy-fifth World Health Assembly may be invited to consider the Intersectoral global action plan for epilepsy and other neurological disorders.
Should you require any additional information, please contact:
- Dévora KESTEL, Director, Mental Health and Substance Use, firstname.lastname@example.org, +41.22.791.3625
- Tarun DUA, Head, Brain Health Unit, email@example.com, +41. 22.791.3059
For more information, visit the WHO website.
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community