Enrich your learning journey in epileptology with the ILAE Academy platform
ILAE has assembled a competency-based curriculum that encompasses 7 domains of knowledge, 42 competencies, and 124 learning objectives that address entry level to advanced proficiencies. Educational activities of different types can be mapped to specific learning objectives and competencies and endorsed by the ILAE.
The ILAE Academy is a credit-based, structured learning environment where you will enroll in courses, access course materials, and track your progress according to your level of proficiency in epileptology as categorized in the ILAE Curriculum. ILAE Academy courses will provide either Continuing Medical Education credit (AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™) or CME-equivalent ILAE credit points for your professional career development in epileptology and to help you reach your desired level of proficiency. You will need a total of 200 credits to reach the goal of Advanced Proficiency (Level 3), e.g., 100 credit points from the self-paced, non-tutored online courses and 100 credit points from the blended learning program of selected face-to-face courses at summer schools, congresses or tutored webtorials.
What is new about the Academy in 2022?
- New fee structure to support making the content as widely accessible as possible
- Earn Continuing Medical Education credit - AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ available for select ILAE Academy educational activities
- Self-Assessment for the transition from Level 1 to Level 2
- Level 2 course offerings with various new interactive tools and formats focusing on case-based learning:
- Evolving language translations of course content
ILAE Academy Learning Journey
Level 1 addresses Entry Level epileptology competencies for healthcare professionals (Level 1 of the ILAE Curriculum).
To receive the Level 1 Certificate, the following must be achieved:
- Completion of all 15 patient cases from the ‘Learn from Cases’
- Completion of 26 pre-determined ebrain sessions
- Completion of the course 'Histopathology in a nutshell' (Level 1)
Self-Assessment: Level 1
Assess your knowledge, competence and confidence in epileptology
Access the Self-Assessment to assess your knowledge, competence, and confidence of the entry Level 1 learning objectives of the ILAE Curriculum as an option for entry into the proficiency Level 2 of the ILAE Academy.
Admission into the ILAE Academy’s proficiency Level 2 program is open to individuals who have earned the entry Level 1 certificate or successfully passed the Self-Assessment, an online confidence-based exam covering the learning objectives of the diagnosis, counseling, treatment and emergencies competencies in the ILAE Curriculum for Level 1.
For each of the 30 multiple-choice questions, applicants provide a response and state their level of confidence. Both numbers contribute to the final score necessary to pass the exam. The results will highlight knowledge in the various competency domains with the aim of helping learners better prepare for Level 2, and to highlight critical areas that may require particular focus and further study, possibly through participation in the Level 1 program.
Once enrolled, the Self-Assessment subscription period allows access for 3 months.
*Note: All learners who have purchased the Level 1 package in 2022 already have access to this Self-Assessment.
Level 2 addresses proficiency level epileptology competencies for healthcare professionals (Level 2 of the ILAE Curriculum).
Level 2 learning activities include an evolving series of self-paced and tutored e-learning activities including diagnosis, treatment, and counseling of common as well as rare epilepsies, at a higher level of care. Every participant of Level 2 will complete a common trunk of e-learning offerings. Learners may also specialize in epilepsies specific to pediatrics or adults and their specific teaching domains, i.e., seizure semiology, EEG, MRI, antiseizure medication, and comorbidities.
New interactive tools and formats, including adaptive learning, focus on the patient, and support the learning process according to the learner’s level of proficiency and learning style:
- Adaptive learning courses adjust to the learner’s level of proficiency to overcome knowledge gaps
- e-semiology modules with seizure videos and exercises challenge learners to recognize and correctly classify the seizure
- Patient cases guide advanced decision making about common and rare types of epilepsy by visualizing learning with videos (seizures and EEGs) and the new integrated EEG and MRI readers
- MRI reading platform to support the learner’s proficiency in MRI diagnosis
- Virtual, tutored webtorial series on pre-defined topics for small groups in different languages and time zones
E-Learning Modules on Rare Epilepsies
The ILAE Academy and EpiCARE partnered to develop free, self-paced e-learning modules for healthcare professionals. These interactive, case-based lessons focus on the diagnosis and management of some rare and complex epilepsies in accordance with ILAE Curriculum Level 2 competencies. Topics include Dravet syndrome, autoimmune encephalitis, hypothalamic hamartoma and more.
These courses are now also included in the ILAE Academy Level 2 program and completion is recorded in the learner history.
Get a glimpse - view tutorials about courses offered on the ILAE Academy!
For questions and further information, please contact email@example.com.
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community