Education is a focus of ILAE’s activities, supporting the League’s mission to ensure that health professionals, governments, and the public world-wide have the essential educational and research resources to understand, diagnose, and treat persons with epilepsy. ILAE has developed a robust curriculum for epileptologists – under the umbrella of the new ILAE Academy. In addition to regional and national congresses, conferences, and symposia, this curriculum includes online self-paced and the VIREPA tutored courses.
ILAE has assembled a competency-based curriculum that encompasses 7 domains of knowledge, 42 competencies, and 124 learning objectives that address entry level to advanced proficiencies. Educational activities of different types can be mapped to specific learning objectives and competencies and endorsed by the ILAE.
The ILAE Academy provides a structured learning environment where you will enroll in courses, access course materials, and track your progress. Courses may be face-to-face, online self-directed, or online tutored, depending on the topic.
- Explore the ILAE curriculum for epileptology. The competency-based curriculum addresses three different levels of professional expertise: 1) Entry, 2) Proficiency, 3) Advanced proficiency. As the curriculum is developed, you will see endorsed educational activities which address the competencies
- Read the publication. Blümcke et al, Epileptic Disorders 2019
Worldwide participation in ILAE Academy Pilot Phase
We thank the 42 volunteers from 32 countries who tested our three pilot case-based eLearning modules.
Here is a summary of the 105 feedback responses:
- 80% assessed the cases as excellent, with 75% rating the content as very relevant (in total 94% very relevant and relevant on a 5-point scale).
- About 75% rated the scenario-based, step-by-step, and interactive approach as very valuable (in total 97% as valuable and very valuable, 5-point scale).
- Finally, 97% would like to do another course and 98.3% would recommend the course to a colleague.
More case-based eLearning modules are in progress and launch is planned for July 2020.
Other Education Resources
Diagnostic Manual: cutting-edge online diagnostic manual of the epilepsies designed to make available, in an easy to understand form, the latest concepts relating to seizures and the epilepsies.
Virtual Epilepsy Academy (VIREPA): Internet-based, e-moderated courses about the diagnosis, treatment and management of epilepsy. The courses are highly interactive and involve a great deal of collaboration and discussion among students and faculty.
Books on Epilepsy: Listing provided as service to members. Some discounts available.
Videos: Links to videos created by the ILAE
Videos of Epilepsy Cases: Educational database of videos from Epileptic Disorders
Infographics: Key concepts from ILAE definition and classification documents in visual format
ILAE Regional Educational Activities: Congresses and courses conducted by the ILAE regions.
ILAE Sponsored Meetings and Courses: Summaries of future and past courses provided by ILAE, organized by course
Non-ILAE Educational Resources: Valuable educational resources from other organizations
Endorsement procedure: Procedure for endorsement of meetings by the ILAE.
Education Review Articles: Articles selected by the Education Council for providing important educational content that is related to specific Learning Objectives of the ILAE Curriculum
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community