Definition & Classification
Draft Neonatal Seizure classification document open for comment
The ILAE Task Force on Neonatal Seizures has created a classification for seizures in the neonate, which is intended to become the ILAE position on the classification for seizures in this age group. As part of the approval and adoption process the League asks for its members to review and comment on the proposed classification. These comments from our international community will then be reviewed by an independent task force, which will then amend the proposed classification to be in line with the suggestions from the community. Read draft Neonatal Seizure Classification
Current Definitions and Classifications
The ILAE strives to provide definitions for key concepts and classification schemes that will help the world epilepsy community in developing a common language to communicate effectively regarding the many facets of epilepsy. It is also hoped that the clear terminology, based on available evidence, will help develop treatments adapted to each condition.
Operational Classification of Seizure Types by the ILAE (2017) Position paper of the ILAE Commission for Classification and Terminology
ILAE Classification of the Epilepsies (2017): Position paper of the ILAE Commission for Classification and Terminology
Other definition/classification documents
- Proposed consensus definitions for new‐onset refractory status epilepticus (NORSE), febrile infection‐related epilepsy syndrome (FIRES), and related conditions (2018)
- A definition and classification of status epilepticus – Report of the ILAE Task Force on Classification of Status Epilepticus. Eugen Trinka et al. Epilepsia (2015)
- ICD coding for epilepsy: Past, present, and future – A report by the International League Against Epilepsy Task Force on ICD codes in epilepsy (2015)
- International consensus classification of hippocampal sclerosis in temporal lobe epilepsy. (2013)
- The clinicopathologic spectrum of focal cortical dysplasias: A consensus classification proposed by an ad hoc Task Force. (2011)
Definition and Classification Archive
The archive page contains links to drafts and early versions of documents for historical and research purposes only.
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.