Chapter Name: Liga Uruguaya contra la Epilepsia (LUCE)
Report By: Andrea Rey
Revista Uruguaya de Epilepsia (RUE)- Vol 27 No.1 and 27 No.2 (Aug/Dec 2019)
Revista Uruguaya de Epilepsia (RUE)- Vol 28 No.1 and 28 No.2 (Aug/Dec 2020)
Clinical guide of care in the first level of health. Guide for the care and treatment of people with epilepsy for health personnel
Summary of Activities:
Annual scientific meeting 2019:
- Continuous Neurological Education Organized by: Uruguayan Neurology Society (SNU) and LUCE. ¨Frontiers between neurology and psychiatry: Autism spectrum disorders and psychogenic non epileptic events. Invited conference by Dr. Luciano de Paola (UFPR-Brasil)
- I International Symposium Of Neurology Organized by: Extrapyramidal Diseases Section of the Institute of Neurology Epilepsy Section of the
- Institute of Neurology Uruguayan League Against Epilepsy (LUCE) Friday, November 22, 2019
- Invited conference Dr. Iscia Lopes-Cendes and Dr. Fernando Cendes
Participation/support to local academic activities:
- Support for outreach activities in high schools outside of the country's capital. Project: “ Myths in Epilepsy”. Students of Bachelor of Clinical Neurophysiology. LUCE Graphic Material
- Support to regional academic activities- active support/participation, either by LUCE as organization or by some of its members, in the online course for primary care in Latin America (ILAE Education Commission)
Advocacy and public outreach:
- Self-aid groups: free meetings every other week, under the guidance of a psychologist provided by LUCE. Separate groups for patients and relatives.
- Activity with the community, in conjunction with a group of parents of children with epilepsy. Purple Day celebration at Friendship Park. (Park with inclusive games for children with disabilities) Conversation with participants. Recreational activities for children. Delivery of brochures. March 2019
- Virtual activity and promotion of Purple Day. Support in ungraduate students of Clinical Neurophysiology activities. March 2020
- Presentation of the clinical guidelines in activity of the Ministry of Health on Latin American Epilepsy Day. (Patricia Braga, Alicia Bogacz, Andrea Rey) September 2020
- Tribute to Dr. Carlos Mendilaharsu on National Heritage day. October 2020
Report on the use of cannabinoids in epilepsy for the Ministry of Public Health, to approve its inclusion as a drug in the national therapeutic formulary. (Andrea Rey)
- Improvement of financial performance
- Development of institutional website
- Sustainability of our institutional Journal (2 issues per year)
To promote an active discussion, leading to the approval of a Law on Epilepsy.
Working close to the IBE chapter and the existing Association of parents of children with epilepsy, to achieve common goals.
To increase the visibility of the League, improving and extending our activities devoted to the whole community.
Officer Election Date: November 2021
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community