Chapter Name: Polish Society of Epileptology
Report By: Grabowska Albena
Educational Books (in Polish) for neurologists, GP, psychiatrists, neuropediatricians:
- Epilepsy – semiology of epileptic seizures” (2017)
- Epilepsy – etiology” (2018)
- „Convulsive status epilepticus management in adults and children: Report of the Working Group of the Polish Society of Epileptology”. Jędrzejczak J, Mazurkiewicz-Bełdzińska M, Szmuda M, Majkowska-Zwolińska B, Steinborn B, Ryglewicz D, Owczuk R, Bartkowska-Śniatkowska A, Widera E, Rejdak K, Siemiński M, Nagańska E. Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2018 Aug;52(4):419-426. doi: 10.1016/j.pjnns.2018.04.002. Epub 2018 Jun 13.
- Managing epilepsy in woman of childbearing age – Polish Society Of epileptology and Polish Gynecological Society Guidelines. Jędrzejczak J, Bomba-Opoń D, Jakiel G, Kwaśniewska A, Mirowska-Guzel D. Ginekol Pol. 2017;88(5):278-284. doi: 10.5603/GP.a2017.00
Summary of Activities:
- In 2017 XXVIII Conference on Epilepsy organized by Polish Society of Epileptology, Warsaw 05, 400 participants.
- In 2018 VIII Congress on Epilepsy organized by Polish Society of Epileptology, Warsaw 05; 400 participants.
The national experts on various fields of epilepsy were invited to give lectures. The topics covered were: epilepsy and pregnancy, video-eeg diagnostic values in different types of epileptic syndromes and non-epileptic events. We discussed the differential diagnostic difficulties, EEG patterns in different stages of consciousness. Important topics covered angiogenic etiology of epileptic seizures and different aspects of post-stroke epilepsy as well as sleep disturbances in patient with epilepsy, and movement episodes differential diagnosis.
- During last years we have introduced especially addressed to our young participants cycle of didactic sessions. It is extremely uplifting and indicates the need for continuous education. We have discussed the motor paroxysmal episodes in children and adults. During satellite symposium we talked about the important theme as personalized medicine in epilepsy. In panel discussion we considered the need for individualized treatment in patients with epilepsy. We presented also usefulness of genetics in diagnosis of epilepsy. Discussion convened by the Polish Society of Epileptology, focused on medical and social aspects of epilepsy namely daily problems for patients with epilepsy, their needs and limitations.
Summary of Activities in 2017/18
Many public lectures and discussion group meeting have been organized with neurologists - public health awareness. Organization forum for key opinion leaders across medicine, government, and health systems.
Many aspects of the use of valproate for the treatment of epilepsy in female children and adolescents, and in women of childbearing potential, in the context of new warnings of EMA, remains very important topic of many meetings. We have prepared in cooperation with Polish Society of Gynaecologists standards for management with women with epilepsy in reproductive age. The letter on the subject was send to Polish Ministry of Health.
Polish Society of Epileptology with Child Neurology Society presented their opinion according using marihuana in the treatment of epilepsy pointing the need of reliable studies.
Summary of Activities in Relation to Global Campaign in 2017 and 2018
Patronizing and supporting the Valentine Epilepsy Days every year on 14 February. ‘Notice me’ is the national campaign of different patients’ associations from the whole of Poland. It was launched on 14th February 2009 in the form of happening in Warsaw.
An important part of our activities in 2017 and 2018 are contacts with the Ministry of Health and National Health Fund. Main problem is the reimbursement for patients of new AEDs in epilepsy. Finally, levetiracetam, oxcarbazepine is free for patients in newly diagnosed (I line) epilepsy, lacozamide is free for patients with III line of treatment epilepsy.
Preparation research paper Computer-Assisted Web Interview was used to collect data. The survey was available on-line on “The same as me” website. The results give the possibility to evaluate patients’ needs and expectations in communications between doctors and patients in the different fields of their life.
Regular educational courses and workshops on epilepsy in Poland. Working group on epilepsy and pregnancy, on quality of life, with the elaboration and validation of an original questionnaire for patients and caregivers. Working group on videos, with the collection of informative videos on different seizure types and elaboration of appropriate tools for the didactic presentation of the material. We introduced interactive workshops pointing errors in communication patient-neurologist using presented by actors and recorded scenes. Scenario was prepared by epileptologist and interpersonal communication coach. Activities in conjunction with the local IBE affiliate Continue helping the activity of the organization, having an umbrella function and coordinating the local societies. Patronizing the Valentine Epilepsy Days. At the moment in Poland, there exist 14 organizations of patients (nine of them are district chapters of Polish People Suffering from Epilepsy established in 1985). Cooperation with web site “the same as me” devoted to patients with epilepsy as forum and information prepared by neurologists.
The discussion on the scheme of pharmacological treatment of new onset and drug resistant epilepsy in Poland - we plan to change the place of lacosamide to the second line treatment drug. We plan to discuss the position of Stiripentol in Dravet syndrome and Epidiolex in Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut syndromes and local rules of reimbursement of the new antiepilepic drugs.
To continue the regular educational courses. To elaborate the new standards of the quality control, to the epilepsy care in Poland. We have prepared with Polish Neurological Society the project of National Guideline of diagnosis of epilepsy in adult and children.
We plan to update the recommendations from 2014 for the treatment of new onset and drug resistant epilepsy in Poland.
We plan to organize the Conference on Different aspects of total care of the patients with psychogenic non-epileptic seizures. The national experts on various fields of epilepsy, psychiatry ang psychology are invited to give lectures.
Officer Election Date: 2022
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community