Chapter Spotlight: Switzerland
The Swiss League Against Epilepsy was founded in 1931 and has been a Chapter of the ILAE since 1964. Their goal is to enhance research in epileptology and inform the public on epilepsy issues to improve the medical and psychosocial situation for people with epilepsy. Furthermore they seek to improve the quality of care in clinical practice in closing the gap between possible treatment options and those offered to the patients. The majority of the members are professionals (physicians, basic researchers, psychologists, pharmacists, social workers, teachers and other specialists).
Editorial Commission (for the Journal "Epileptologie"); Driving Licence Commission; Therapy Commission; Research Commission; and Commission of Swiss DRGs (Diagnosis Related Groups)
- The Swiss Chapter's youth campaign is aimed at young people and raising awareness of epilepsy amongst this demographic: www.epi.ch/wasweisstdu
- Obituary Christoph Pachlatko, 1956-2015
- Journal “Epileptologie”. Contains the latest research results and findings for investigations and treatment. Trilingual abstracts. Circulation: 1200, published four times a year. Free for members. Is issued at conferences.
- Three educational events every year on topics such as “Pregnancy with Epilepsy”, “Epilepsy and Comorbidity” or “Epilepsy in the Elderly”. In addition to neurologists other relevant experts are invited. These events are provided in German, French and Italian and take place in alternate towns of Switzerland.
- Annual research grant of 25,000 CHF
- Prize for best dissertation of 1,000 CHF every three years
- Alfred-Hauptmann-Prize of 10,000 Euro every two years together with the German and the Austrian Chapter of the ILAE
- DVDs “Signs of Epileptic Seizures” and “Dissociative Seizures”
- Monthly Newsletter
- Programme booklet with all events each year
For the public
- Information by telephone, e-mail or personal contact
- Three public events every year on topics such as “Epilepsy in Children”, “Epilepsy and Fitness to Drive” or “Epilepsy and Hormones”. The goal of these events is better information for the public on epilepsy to remove the stigma. They are provided in German, French and Italian and take place in alternate towns of Switzerland.
- Special Day for patients and their relatives. Once a year a day is organised on a specific topic for patients and their relatives.Talks on for example “Examination Methods”, “Complementary Medicine” or “Relationship between Physician and Patient” are followed by a lunch with further possibilities for contact and discussion. The speakers are available to answer questions.
- Epilepsy Day. National campaign with annual special activity.
- Flyers with information about epilepsy in German, French and Italian. Suitable for circulation in waiting rooms of hospitals, practices or for training. Available on the following topics:
- Epilepsy in the Elderly
- Work and Epilepsy
- Sports and Epilepsy
- Men and Epilepsy
- Women and Epilepsy
- What is Epilepsy?
- Most Common Causes
- Characteristic Features of Seizures
- Common Forms of Seizures in Children
- Drug Treatment
- First Aid in Seizures
- Epilepsy and Pregnancy
- Travel and Epilepsy
- Driving a Car and Epilepsy
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation
- Ketogenic Diet
- Insurance guide
- DVDs “Epilepsy” and “In the Shadow of the Wolf”
- Epilepsy News. Published three times a year in German and in French. Provides information on current activities of the Swiss League against Epilepsy. Is distributed widely with a circulation of about 30,000.
- Monthly newsletter
- Programme brochure with all events each year
League Executive Board
Our chapter elections were held in April 2016. Our executive board members include:
- President: Prof Stephan Rüegg
- Past President: Dr Güenter Krämer
- Vice President: Andrea Rossetti
- Treasurer: Marco Beng
- Other Members: Dr Pamela Agazzi, Dr Alexandre Datta, Prof Dr Thomas Grunwald, Dr Anna Marie Hew-Winzeler, Noëlle Mercier, Dr Klaus Meyer, Prof. Johannes Sarnthein, Prof Dr Kaspar Schindler, Dr Markus Schmutz, Prof Margitta Seeck, Urs Sennhauser
Dr Julia Franke, Managing Director, phone 0041 43 488 67 77
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community