Chapter Spotlight: Taiwan
Taiwan Epilepsy Society (TES) was established in 1990 by a group of neurologists interested in treating patients with epilepsy. Neurologists and pediatricians who are interested in epilepsy started having regular meetings under the leadership of Drs. Ming-Shung Su, and Marshal (Mo-Song) Hsi. When Dr. Jing- Jane Tsai returned to Taiwan in 1988 after having studied epilepsy for 10 years in Germany, the group started seriously thinking of establishing a national society devoted to the care of epilepsy patients.
TES joined the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) in 1993, and has officially been a member of ILAE ever since. So far, we have had twelve distinguished epileptologists served as the president of the society, each for two years, and the current president, Dr. Shang Yeong Kwan, was just elected last April. After having joined ILAE and IBE, Taiwan has been active in joining international epilepsy activities.
So far, the membership of TES consists mainly of neurologists, neurosurgeons and pediatric neurologists, and we are looking for opportunities to recruit different disciplines, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, pharmacists, or social workers to join our society, in order to provide a comprehensive care network for patients with epilepsy.
Summary of activities in 2013 and 2014
- “Young-Star Epilepsy Training Program” was held once a year. This program was prepared for young investigators in neurology/neurosurgery/ pediatric neurology, especially for those who just passed the Neurology Board Examination.
- "EEG Education Courses” with ssdifferent levels have been conducted 9 times in 2013, 3 for basic level, 3 for intermediate level, and 3 for advanced level.
- “Introduction and Managing Patients with Epilepsy” are conducted three times in 2014, in order to provide comprehensive epilepsy education to nursing professionals.
- “Introduction of Epilepsy” will be conducted three times this year. The course aimed to raise awareness, communication and education on the theme of epilepsy for school staff and nurses working in the schools, there will be more than 1,000 teachers or school nurses in the courses.
- “Taiwan Electroencephalography guideline” will be released in 2014, which try to establish a comprehensive guide about techniques and reading of EEG.
- We are planning for revision of “Taiwan Epilepsy Guidelines” before 2015 and more than 20 outstanding pediatric neurologists begin to work for first version of “Pediatric Epilepsy guidelines”; which include 3 volume: neonates, infant, and children.
- the 4th Symposium of World Association of Chinese Epileptogists (WACE) will be held on Oct 18-19, 2014, in Kaohsiung, more than 10 years since last time at Guangzhou. There will be a special session “case presentation” for young investigator in the afternoon at Oct 18 and whole day of plenary session on Oct 19.
Tawan Epilepsy Society Website: www.epilepsy.org.tw
Shang-Yeong Kwan, President
Taipei Veterans General Hospital, No. 201, Sec. 2, Shipai Rd., Taipeiq, 11217, TAIWAN
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community