Climate Change Commission
Terms of Reference
As the ILAE recognises that climate change poses a significant threat to the lives and wellbeing of people with epilepsy and to the work of professionals in the field, the Climate Change Commission undertakes to:
- Ensure that as a responsible organization, ILAE quantifies and understands its entire direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions (Scopes 1-3), and commits to reducing Scope 1 and 2 emissions to net zero by 2030, and Scope 3 by 2035, ideally with external certification.
- Promote and establish sustainable practices across all ILAE activities, including its own operation, meetings, congress venues (to the extent ILAE has power to do so), publications, sourcing and recommendations (e.g. of particular clinical or research practices in epilepsy).
- Raise awareness amongst, and educate, ILAE membership about the impact of climate change (including through the promotion of research, knowledge and understanding) on people with epilepsy and epilepsy professionals, and of their own professional contributions to climate change: achieving climate literacy.
- Demonstrate leadership in this field and to engage with, and influence, other organisations and colleagues to achieve the same ends.
- Elaborate strategies and policies for adaptation and mitigation and best practice according to these terms.
Agreed by the Climate Change Commission members
Dated: 14 April 2022
Subscribe to the ILAE Newsletter
To subscribe, please click on the button below.
Please send me information about ILAE activities and other
information of interest to the epilepsy community